Friday, June 2, 2017

Drying out, I think.

So far today it hasn't rained. I still got my feet wet at the park because of the standing water and crossing the ditch.
I bit the bullet and cut the leading edges off the stabilizer and elevators. The hinge pockets were really messed up after being reworked twice. The same goes for the flaps. I'm going to  make new flaps so that won't be a problem but the wing trailing edge could be tricky to repair. I made up new leading edges and sanded the new hinge pockets in and glued them back in place. I used up all my hinges on the last Nomad so I have to get some at the hobby shop. I found pictures of another design that has the fin/rudder on the ends of the stabilizer like the Lockheed Constellation 4 engine passenger plane except only the two tip fins were on the model plane. I'm planning on adding fins to the stab. tips on this rebuild. I added a lot of filler to the divots in the balsa and other defects that will cause problems in the finish if left alone. The elevator push rod has a spherical rod end at the elevator control horn. That takes a 4-40 screw and a large hole in the horn. Not the easiest thing to adjust when the plane is all together. I filled the horn hole with braze and drilled a 1/16 inch hole in the braze for a steel clevis. That will make any needed adjustment a lot easier later on.

No comments: