Saturday, June 10, 2017

Cutting out paper dolls.

With the new flaps being an ounce heavier than the originals and the plywood landing gear mount under the fuselage adding weight I started to trim most of the wood out of the wing ribs. After that I cut half of each shear web out. In total I trimmed 2 ounces off the wing. Then I cut into the fuselage and removed the plywood gear mount and replaced it with balsa. The top turtle deck is on and the canopy trimmed for best fit. I think I'll paint the inside of the canopy rather than buy a pilot bust.
  The across street neighbor was having a yard sale so we went over and looked around. There was a glass top table for $15.00 so I bought it for the shop. With all the wood cut out of the wing I could twist it a little. I set it up on the new table and put the incidence meters on and blocked them up so the plane was sitting on the meters. I did this the other day and found the wing has a warp. The meters confirmed it again today. I got some water and a sponge and wet the wood top and bottom then weighted the wing down one degree past level in the opposite direction and let it dry. When I returned and removed the weights the wing sat on all four points like it should. I'll recheck it tomorrow to made sure it stays put. I'm waiting for the covering material to arrive before I can proceed with finishing the plane. The line clips/snaps came in today but that doesn't help with this project.
 

No comments: