Friday, June 16, 2017

Return to the original engine.

Last year I enlarged some plans looking for a 600 sq. in. wing plane. It ended up being 665 sq. in. So I built it for one of the .60 size engines I have. Try as I may I couldn't get the engine to run right. I ended up installing one of the .46 size engines and it flew the plane quite well. I was told at the Houston contest that my planes needed more power to get them through the maneuvers with authority. I have that covered but the 665 plane is simply too big for the engine I have on it. I have been looking for a larger engine for the 665 but there are none in my price range. Then it hit me. I could put the original engine back on the plane and try it again. Since all the holes are still there I swapped engines in a jiffy. Just for giggles I weighed the removed engine, prop, spinner and muffler and got 17 ounces. With the bigger engine I put a lighter muffler and a wood propeller so the new package is lighter making the plane a bit tail heavy. This morning I took it to the park and fired it up on 10% nitro fuel and made a short flight. The engine ran steady and pulled the plane very well. I got in two more flights just to be sure. At home I put a one ounce weight under the spinner and made up a larger fuel tank for it. I have two 6 ounce plastic tanks but can only account for one. More searching is needed.
   I covered the wing, stab/elev, and flaps on the ARF Strega. The fiberglass cloth hasn't come in yet so that is on hold.

No comments: