Sunday, October 4, 2009

Change of plans/trip report.

As we prepared to go to Burlington, VT we got a phone call and ended up in Slaughter, LA 2 days later. Rather than drive the El Camino as planned for the Oct. trip we flew. This was caused by an accident between a motorcycle and a pickup. Anyway I got together with Gil Causey and went flying several times. Between the two of us we straightened out the Fox .40 running problem. I shaved .025 off the large chamber head and installed .042 worth of head shims. No more wild runs after that. Gil wasn't so lucky as his engine acted like mine used to. He changed it.
It was deceided that we would trade cars with Aaron again like we did 3 years ago. We had planned to go to LA for a visit in mid Oct. but the accident changed that. Now with a few broken bones and a beat up motorcycle a change of plans ensued. We will drive the Stratus R/T to LA in mid Oct. in time to get in the contest and make the swap. Almost back on track.
I made a trip to the hobby shop while in LA and picked up 3 gallons of 10% fuel plus some other stuff. I then figured that I could get some methanol at the local drag strip which is only 30 miles away compared to 140 miles here at home. Aaron looked up the hours of operation and found the cost to be $1.50 a gallon cheaper that here also. I got 10 gallons. I gave Gil 2 gallons for a needle valve asm. he gave me. Seeing that we will be driving back home in a pick up I don't have to worry about paying haz mat shipping charges on the stuff I bought. Monster savings.
I installed the new wing on the ringmaster and it flies very well. I hit the box on landing and had to repair the wing but it still flies well.
The trip home was good and on time. The jet stream got us into Atlanta 30 minutes early and we waited that 30 minutes for a gate to open. Leaving Atlanta we had to wait for planes behind us to move before we could push back. Another 30 minutes. We got into PVD on time with the help of the Jet stream. The Cpt. said we were doing 700 mph. I saw a fireworks display on the ground as we flew over someplace. Then we passed by a line of thunderstorms and got to watch the lightning in the clouds. Pretty neat.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

Sounds good! Glad the return flight went well!