Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ready to go.

When I flew yesterday the Fox .40 ran faster than it has been for no good reason. I didn't touch anything. I went to the Sterling school this morning and the engine was running faster than normal again. I tweaked the needle but it didn't change. I opened it a turn and a half and it cleared the obstruction and I turned the needle back to where it has been. It ran like normal for two flights. I took out the re did ringmaster and got in 3 trim flights. I had to put the tab on the wing as the twisting wasn't enough. I lessened the handle spacing to calm it down as it will stall on a normal corner. I got the speed up and the controls down and it flew pretty good. The old time pattern uses 60 degrees up instead of 40 so the maneuvers are a lot bigger which is what the plane wants. I cleaned and waxed the Padre so it don't look too worn. The paint is coming off the fuse. right side between the wing and stab. Another winter project.
I let the El Camino cool a bit and got into changing the distributor. I read the directions as I didn't need them to kneel on and when I hit the starter it started. I adjusted the timing and took it for a short ride. It works but I can't feel any performance change. I wrapped the old one in the new box and stored it up stairs. The air cleaner barely cleares the new cap.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

Sounds good on the distributor. Usually the bearings/bushings will eventually go out. (Or that electronic module under the rotor.

Fuel pump-wise, I'd get a decent OEM replacement from Napa and call it a day. No telling how worn the diaphragm in the old one is.