Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm doing it again.

The contest yesterday was about the only one that gives appearance points. I had that in the back of my mind but took the best flyer anyway which is the Padre. The paint has started coming off in good sized patches and it deserved the 12 out of 20 appearance points it got. I thought about that all the way home and all night. At 7:00 am I took out the Cyclo brake cleaner and started stripping the fuselage. I cut off the rudder and fin and made a new one as the rudder pulled off as I took it out of the truck at the contest. I had glue. The brake cleaner melts the paint in seconds and it scrapes off with a credit card. I had spot putty on and drying by 9:00 am. I bought a new can of primer and at 3:30 pm I applied the first coat of primer. It's drying now. I'll sand that and probably give it a second coat before colors. Red top white bottom separated by a dark blue stripe. I weighed it before stripping to see if there is much of a change. I also moved painting operations to the basement where the de humidifier is. The paint fumes seem to be heavier than air as they always drifted down stairs. So far the fumes have not come up stairs.

No comments: