Sunday, April 27, 2014

And the times are hard to change.

I'm not too surprised at the stunt "powers that be" not making c/l stunt or c/l in general more interesting for the r/c crowd. The ARF and ARC models appeal to the new modelers of today just as the Scientific hollow log kits apealed to the new modelers of yesterday. I started by trying to build a print wood stick and tissue kit when I was about 5 years old, 1949. Trying to cut out the formers with their many 1/16" square notches for the stringers outside with a double edged razor blade was futile to say the least. I got a plastic ready to fly when I was about 8. The good part is it had an engine. I got it to fly a couple times before the fuel destroyed the plastic, but I had an engine. The many hollow log kits were my first successful attempt at building and flying. From there I climbed the ladder of kits and finally gained enough skill to start scratch building planes. A logical and methodical progression that is the proven way to advance any kind of learning. I think the 'powers that be' should embrace the ARF/ARC models as the path to being a successful c/l flyer. Do away with the builder of the model rule in the classes below expert and have a logical progression from beginner to expert not just beginner and expert like it is today.  By that I mean distinct and separate skill classes for each group. Each class having a tougher group of maneuvers than the last. For a beginner to move up to the next class today he needs to fly the expert class pattern. It's like having a 20 foot ladder with one rung at the bottom and one rung at the top. It just doesn't make sense to me. I crashed several models between beginner and intermediate trying to learn the expert class pattern. Most people don't have as many planes as I had to keep going and after crashing or thinking they would crash they are gone, back to r/c. I know the argument put forth by the "powers that be" and most of it doesn't make sense to me either. Arguments should be made on how simple c/l is compared to r/c, how much less costly, the small area needed to fly, the interchangeability between r/c equipment and c/l equipment, the ability to "feel the model", never losing a plane in a tree, only having to walk 60 feet to pick up the pieces, that building a good flying c/l model will make you build a better flying r/c model and when r/c is stopped by NOTAM or some other regulation you can go into your back yard and still fly.

1 comment:

Sweet Pea said...

Well done. Wish someone would listen to you and make the changes.