Tuesday, April 8, 2014

More test flights..

Conditions were about perfect for test flights yesterday morning. I changed lines on the Bearcat and brought the Legacy that had minor things done to it after the first flight a couple weeks ago.  The Bearcat fuselage is so fat it's hard to hold on to when starting inverted. I tried the starter but the Higley Heavy Hub was too small for the large diameter of the cone and too big for the small end. I took a 5/8 inch piece of 3/4 inch heater hose and pounded it into the large end of the starter cone reducing it's diameter enough so it would grab onto the hub. I got it started by hand inverted for the first flight and used the starter for the other two flights. It spun the engine for a few seconds and when the fuel reached the engine it fired off. The new lines worked well and the plane was a lot more stable. A tweak of the needle and I got in most of the pattern doing one lap between maneuvers as I didn't put in enough fuel. On engine shut off it dives towards the ground so I checked the engine alignment today and it had a bit of up thrust. I put a 1 degree shim under the engine. It's flying pretty good otherwise.
  The Legacy didn't need much from the first flight except for a bit more tip weight and a handle adjustment. I got in 3 flights with it and all the maneuvers with one lap between. It's a very stable plane and, to me, it presents well and turns well.
  The gas lift supports for the hot rod hood came in today. The retainer clips gave me some trouble but they fit perfectly.

No comments: