Saturday, April 5, 2014

First flight jitters.

After our noon snack I loaded the Bearcat into the truck and headed to the field. I knew starting would be troublesome as the engine is cowled with no room to heat the engine with water. Also the engine hasn't been run since installing it into the plane. I had to straighten the needle to get it to stick out of the cowl and jammed a piece of brass tubing on so I could turn it. I loosened the engine with primed fuel and had to start it inverted. The fuselage is big and hard to get a grip on. After spitting the prop off I got it running. Back on it's wheels the needle extension had fallen off so I had to use pliers to turn the needle. Out at the handle I gave the release and then noticed the glow battery still attached. I flew the 2-1/2 ounces out and landed. The engine started better on the second flight

and I leaned it out a bit more after removing the battery. As I walked the lines to the handle they twisted and caused a lot of problems to un twist.  Luckily I put enough fuel onto the metal tank and the engine stayed running. The second flight was hunt city as I think the lines had wrapped up again after I unwrapped them. I should have held them tight as I un wrapped them in the first place. The ground isn't too flat and as I landed the ground rose up as the plane touched down knocking off the right side gear door. Other than that it flew well. The wind  knocked it around a bit on the second flight so we packed up and went home. I removed the cowl and brazed a cross piece on the needle and put a landing gear strap on each gear door.

No comments: