Monday, April 29, 2019

I've heard about the new Monokote.

I bought two rolls at the hobby shop on Saturday and got to use it today Monday. The first thing is the plastic/chemical odor is a lot stronger and not the same as it was. Also the material felt thinner. Using dial calipers I got .002 on the new stuff and .003 on the older Monokote thickness. For what it's worth the new stuff should be lighter. I have figured that covering a wing will ad 2 ounces with the older stuff. As I was sticking the covering down around the edges it didn't stick as well as the older stuff. I raised the heat and then remembered using another brand that needed a longer time for the adhesive to cure so I let it sit a bit before shrinking. It did shrink as well as the old stuff. I used a heat gun on the open bay wing and stab/elev and the iron on the solid flaps. One new thing I tried is to spray some 3M glue on the wing where the landing gear blocks are. It should as a lot of adhesion to the covering there. I'll put a strip of packing tape over the area as well. Compound curves, the wing tips, are a pain in my existence. I put a strip of covering on the tips so I wouldn't have to stretch the covering too much. I picked that trick up from the Fancherized Twister article of long ago. All in all it took 3 1/2 hours to cover the wing, stab, elevators and flaps. Now it's time to glue in the hinges and install the control surfaces. That will take another day then assemble all the flight stuff and bench trim it before the maiden flight. That's looking like next week some time as there is a contest this weekend. Should the plane be deemed worthy I will slop some paint on it.

No comments: