Friday, April 12, 2019

Wing tips.

After three hours of carving, sanding and trial fitting I got the wing tips glued onto the wing.The biggest problem I had was fitting the tip weight box. I carved as much as I dared out of the right tip so the box would be inside the tip but I couldn't get it done. I had to cut about 3/16 out of the tip rib so the box would let the tip fit flush to the wing. The Makita grinder and rotary rasp makes short work of hollowing anything.
  When I tack glued the tips to the wing for sanding to match the wing ribs I wrapped some tape on the sanding block so it wouldn't dig into the cap strips. I put a black guide line on the cap strips so I could tell when the sanding was close enough.
  The leadout guide didn't give me too much trouble and I epoxied it into the left tip.




No comments: