Tuesday, April 30, 2019

RTF

I had to make a trip to the hobby shop again to get more hinges. I used more than I usually do on the flaps and elevators. I dipped the knuckles in liquid vaseline and used pliars to insert them into the slots so I wouldn't get slippery stuff all over the hinge with my hands.I used the Quick Grip glue and it proved messy as the tiny tubes were a problem to handle. Epoxy or other glues in a syringe would have been easier. While the glue was curing I installed the motor and ESC and timer. After that I installed a flight battery and checked the balance and leadout position. On the plans for the wing the balance point is 6 3/4 inches up from the trailing edge and, I don't know how it happened but that's where it balanced. The RTF weight is 62.5 ounces. I have the leadouts set at 3/16" to the foot nose down which is where I set all my maiden voyage planes. How far behind the c/g? I don't know and I don't care, this is rocket science compared to trying to set that. I'm going to wait for the first flight until after the El Dorado contest this weekend. That will give the glue plenty of time to cure and give the park crew time to mow the field.

No comments: