Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to Explorer.

We had to go back to the old server as Norton kept messing Mozilla up. Several hours of running cleanup programs and we seem to be back in business.
In the latest issue of Model Aviation Dick Sarpoulos did an article on an old time stunt model. The 'Easy'. It's a profile almost. 50 inch span. Good for the engines I have. Anyway I started to make parts for it yesterday, all the ribs and I had to change the leading edge airfoil a bit to make it more blunt. I went to Staples and had the page size plan enlarged to full size. My calculations were correct in that the parts on the plan were not the same size. The wing at 530Percent is an inch and a half longer and the fuselage is a bit shorter than it should be. Way to go Dick. The strange part of the old design is the fuselage is 1 1/4 inches thick. Normal profiles are a half inch thick max. It's a straight 3 by 1 1/4 box 34 inches long. The plans show practially nothing as how the construction goes. Dickypoo's article must have been edited into oblivion as he generally is quite thorough. He built his model using r/c style techniques as it came out at 44 ounces. 1/8 inch ribs, 1/4 inch fuse sides. I'm using 1/16" ribs and 1/8" sides. Should come in below 40 ounces. The fuse. is hollow from the c/g point back to the tail. He also used 1/4 inch for the stab, and elevator, I'm using 3/16. This will replace the plane I gave up on as an old time stunt model.

No comments: