Sunday, August 10, 2008

On the road again (up yours Willie)




For the first time in over 8 years the El Camino is road worthy. I've put about 60 miles on it since getting the temp plates and permanent plates. It has a different feel than the new cars. The power steering is more powerful, a light touch turns the wheels. The suspension gives a nice ride not like the firm rides we get with todays cars. There's still a lot of tweaking to be done to get it the way I think it should be. I made a plane carrying board for the bed and tried it out with a trip to the Central school in Plainfield. There is a large field that is just right for flying all kinds of planes. I noticed that one of the engine holddown screws had broke off right below the head. I replaced it with a different kind hoping it will be stronger. I also noticed that the flap and elevator were out of alignment. It took three turns on the clevis to even them out. That may mess up the way it flies. I got the K&B back in it and it's running pretty good. A contest next Sunday in Lee MA. I have to get a flight or two on the Primary Pupster to make sure it's running right. No fooling around this time. I don't like repairing planes for stupid reasons. Although the last repair job produced a better plane. Crashing is a blessed event.