Friday, August 28, 2009

May have it figured out.

I cut a triangle shaped piece out of the back of the steering wheel pad that contains the horn blow system. I put a feeler gage in between the plates and moved it all around. No good. No continuity in the shop but the horn would blow in the garage. I hooked the Ohm meter up and got a reading. I left it hooked up and probed through the hole between the plates until I found the spot that was touching. I made several passes and left the plastic probe in the spot to keep them apart. I have it hooked to the car now with a jumper to see if it will activate the horn. 3 hours now and still going. What I think was happening was that the foam the horn switch is molded into is old and not as resiliant. It has a memory but it has been changed over the years. When I probed around it pushed the foam down and it took a few minutes for it to go back to where it was. Now with plastic strips keeping the foam compressed where it should be I may have cured it.
We went to the dog track this morning and I tested the changes to the Fox plane. It turned very fast with a wing waggle on some of the corners. The proper term is Hinging. Why, I don't know. I removed the 1/2 ounce tail weight to give it more stability and cut down on the corners a bit without changing the handle or control movement. It flys quite well this way. I removed half of the tip weight to cure the hinging when I got home. I also mixed some more fuel. 2 gallons of 2.5% nitro, 22.5% oil, (20% castor, 2.5% synthetic)

No comments: