Sunday, August 23, 2009

Saved hundreds more.

I was preparing a list of left over parts that were replaced or not used in the El Camino. In a box was a pile of seat belts that just didn't make sense. I have spent some time trying to figure out what belt went to what belt to no avail. I gave it one more try and found the secret that's been there all the time. The belts are the original ones that came with the car. Each belt, and there are ten of them, has a part number on the tag hidden on the underneath. I took a belt with a tab end and looked for a belt with a buckle end with the same part number and I had a set. I was amazed that all the belts were still there and in good condition except for some pretty bad fading on the shoulder belts. We have been planning on adding a center belt and the originals included a center belt. I washed the belts in hot water and dish soap. Now they look better but still faded. I called a "family meeting" to discuss the fading problem and to see if dyeing the belts would work. Off to Norwich to the fabric store and got some liquid Rit dye that didn't say not for nylon. I used 1/4 the amount of hot water and 3 times the amount of dye. I put the belts in and stirred it for 45 minutes then rinsed the belts and hung them on the line to dry. After a couple hours the belts were damp so I put them all up stairs to dry overnight. This morning i checked on them and the belts look great. The webbing moves in the buckles for adjustments and everything. I can install the three lap belts permanently but the shoulder belts have to wait for the headliner. All the GM logo are still on the buckles too. Good as new.
I got the hood latch adjusted so it closes without having to pull the release. I elongated the bolt slots so the pin could move forward to miss hitting the latch The weather is supposed to start cooling a bit too.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

Up early this morning. I thought the belts were there somewhere. Sounds great!