Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We have door panels.

I went to NAPA this morning to get the panel clips. No sense getting the screws and door lock knobs I need while I'm there. I got the left panel on and had to come up with a method to get 5 screws to go through the panel and hold it to the door without making a bunch of holes trying to find each hole in the door frame. I cut off a #8 sheet metal screw about 3/4 inch long. I also drilled a 7/16" hole in the end of a 3/4" dowel. Then I lifted the bottom of the panel and started the #8 screw into the #6 hole. I didn't get far which is what I planned. With the screw sticking out of the hole I let the panel rest against it. I tapped the panel over the screw until the screw poked through the cardboard backing but not through the vinyl covering. I took the dowel and put the hole end over the screw bulge and pushed to poke the screw through the vinyl marking the exact location of the screw hole in the door. 5 times on each door panel, install the screws and I'm done.
Of course I had to go to NAPA and get the screws. No sense getting the door lock knobs while I'm there. I figure that Benny's should have the knobs as that is what Benny's is there for. Nope. Back to NAPA. Only got one and another on order, should be here in the morning.
I removed and replaced the parking brake and brake pedal rubber. I looked at the gas pedal but it has to come off the car to be replaced. It's in good shape so it can wait. Maybe I'll try the headliner tomorrow. That will allow the installation of the rest of the trim pieces.
I got in two flights at the dog track this morning between trips to NAPA. The plane is flying good and the engine is running very well.

No comments: