Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fiddling on a windy day.

I haven"t been happy with the way my hemi Fox .35's have been running. I got the idea to drill out the hole in the spray bar in hopes to be able to control the fuel flow better. I asked the question on one of the forums and set about to make changes. I enlarged the hole a bit to .055. Then I noticed that the hole the needle screws into wasn't the same diameter all the way through. After a bit it came to me that the needle closed off the fuel at the diameter change and not at the 'dump hole'. Making the hole bigger probably wouldn't make any difference. I remembered that Marvin Denny had written that the needles with a flat were made to better control the flow of fuel but were discontinued in favor of a straight taper. I sanded a small flat on the taper and took the engine outside for testing. I like the way it ran. Quite steady and breaking between 2 and 4 cycle at 8500 rpm. Not being happy I took the other hemi .35 and did the same thing to it's NVA. It being mounted on a plane I brought it out for testing. Again a steady run and in 4 cycle at 8900 rpm. I can't figure that out unless I have more head shims in one engine than the other.
Back at the forum several people were saying not to mess with it because the changes would ruin the NVA and mess up the engine run. As the Old Philosopher would say "too late". The real test will come when it flys. They always run good on the ground for me.
The truck will need a new radiator in the near future. It's got plastic ends and the lower drivers side is weeping a bit.

2 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Been weeping since I bought it. I wondered where the glycol smell was coming from. $329 at Autozone in any case.

Perry Rose said...

Probably less at Richoni's.prose02@snet.net