Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just in time.

We went to the dog track yesterday and my first flight ended in an upside down landing again. I pulled out the Pupster and got in a fair flight with the engine not right. At home I decided to enlarge the stab on the Primary Force. I put 3 inches total to the stab length. The goal is to make it turn sharper. I went out this morning and got in a few flights and the extra stab. and elev. made a tad of difference. I got out the Pupster and the engine wasn't right. I made changes, still not right. I had added a 2 inch piece of tubing to the muffler and it was causing all kinds of havoc. I removed it and the engine ran quite well. Hard to believe.
The sky was getting darker by the minute so I packed up and headed for home. Shortly after getting everything put away it started to rain and hail quite hard. Fall in New England.
I noticed some fuel on top of both plane wings. That generally means a leak in the tank. I pressurized both in water and found and repaired the leaks.
I ran the latest engine from ebay and it was harder than normal to get running. I took the back plate off and saw rust on the crankshaft so I dissasembled it and cleaned the rust. I noticed that the clyinder liner plating was coming off so I ordered a new set from Tower. Other than that it's in good shape.

No comments: