Friday, November 27, 2009

Incompatible compatibility.

As I stumbled along getting the assembly sequence right on the rebuilt plane I put the white paint on. I had tested it with a coat of clear dope and it is compatible with the clear which is what I was looking for. I glued the wing on after covering it this morning. I masked off the part that was to be painted blue. There was white over spray in the area also. Since the clear didn't bother the white I didn't think twice about it. Both the clear and the blue are top flite luster kote paints. Shortly after the first coat of blue the white started to wrinkle. I hurried and wiped off all the paints and then used thinner to get more off. I sprayed a thin coat of clear on the area and then the blue again. The clear stabilized what white was left and the blue came out fair. The red paint is a different brand again that the clear has no effect on but I'm running a test to make sure it's compatible with the white and clear again. If not I'll put a coat of clear over the area to be painted red. Luckily the blue is on the bottom and not too large of an area. The color paints are probably not affected by spilled fuel but the clear will add shine and really fuel proof it.
I had just enough white covering to finish the wing and the hinges. Now I have to buy a roll to cover the stab. Then I can install that and the fin and rudder.

No comments: