Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Another experiment.

I finished covering the Bearcat and started looking at the Legacy. Between looking at the plane and the roll of white Monokote I thought of another way to lay the covering on the wing and stab. There have times that the plane was worth re covering and removing the covering from under the fillets can get messy. So I installed a strip of covering about an inch wide next to the fuselage joint but with enough of a gap so that the epoxy fillet will cover the Monokote edges and still glue the wing in solidly. Then I installed the covering keeping a bit away from where the fillet will end. That way if the plane gets to be old and is worth re covering I can remove it and have the strip intact for re use. But now I'm stuck with the same color but I generally use white as a base color anyway.
 I started with a partial roll of white and didn't think there was enough to cover the wings stab and other parts and there wasn't. There was even less than I figured but I did get the wing covered and fillets installed. The hobby shop in Groton has a roll for $19.95 and we go to Groton a lot and the cost of gas to go to Hog Heaven along with the time for the special trip even though I need a pilot figure then again I can get cheaper gasoline in MA, I hear a road trip coming. I live 35 miles from three hobby shops.
 Well that didn't go well. I had a dental cleaning appointment for 0900 tomorrow and with the snow coming I changed it to today at 1100. The dental office is a mile from the Groton hobby shop with the $19.95 Monokote. I was headed that way on my way out so I stopped and bought  the only roll of white they had. I did get the rest of the Legacy covered.  The Ford engine blue I bought at NAPA is very close to Monokote insignia blue when applied over a dark primer coat. I tested it on the cowl. Things are on hold as it's getting way to cold even for me to paint.

No comments: