Friday, January 3, 2014

About 5 inches of pure misery.

  As I feared the snow dropped a load over night. I had trouble pushing it into a snow blowable pile. The wind wouldn't cooperate either. Out of the north it kept the spray from going where I wanted it to. Most of it went into my face. I finally got the parking square cleared off and the drive way was better as the wind helped a lot. 50 minutes and it was done.
 With the arrival of the rib set I was all set to hit the Legacy building hard. I started by poking holes in the ribs for the jig rods. About a half hour. Then I noticed that I had a wing with a straight leading edge. Another half hour to put the holes in the right place. After that another half hour to set the jig up for the right rib spacing. I kept to the directions on building the wing. Except when it came to sheeting the leading edge before installing the controls. In a mock up condition I found that 4 of the end ribs have to be cut for the front line to move far enough rear ward to suit me. Yesterday I had cut the wing opening in the fuselage and doublers and glued them in place. Before attacking the wing I had glued the engine crutch into the fuselage sides. After tiring of the wing I glued the formers into the fuselage. They are only 1/16 balsa but there are verticle and angled formers. I hope the push rod fits through the slots.The plans call for an engine cowl. To simplify the whole thing I'm going to leave it open as a profile. It will have the same look but less problems building. With all the plywood doublers for strength I'm not going to cut the bottom out and slide the wing into the fuselage just as it sits. With the controls installed and sheeted over it requires a trip to McDonalds for supplies. I'll explain later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing 1 2 3 Testing Of course it's I. Wouldn't let me use Sweet Pea?

Perry Rose said...

Before the change i made there wasn't any indication of a comment on the post only on the blog list which I didn't notice until the other day. Maybe I can change it back.