Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Learning has taken place.

  One of the students in the building class got a radio system for Christmas. I helped him install two of the normal size servos yesterday and hook up the push rods. Today we had to charge one of the batteries with an unfamiliar charger and get the speed controller wired in. The directions came in handy but one of last years students got it up and charging for us. On the first try to get everything working the beeps were not standard. I looked over the wiring and found the speed controller was plugged into the receiver wrong. Once that was fixed all operated as it should. The throttle was reversed but I knew how to fix that. It's the first that's ready to fly.
  I bought some spot putty a few years ago and it's not as good as the old red lead spot putty. Yesterday I tried thinning it with acetone and it worked. I tried lacquer thinner a while ago with out success. I poured some on the rudders and scrapped it off using a credit card. After sanding it filled the grain nicely. I tried it on a glass covered piece with good results also. I'm in the middle of testing it on one of the fuselages. It's a lot easier to apply thinned in this instance. It goes on so thin it dries very quick.

No comments: