Sunday, January 19, 2014

Another shortcut.

I started to cover the Bearcat's wing yesterday. I used to make several cuts in order to get the covering to match up at the fuselage. I've  spent close to an hour doing that on all the other planes. On the Bearcat I did my usual thing with the sheet and then as I was starting to measure and trim I simply pushed the covering up to the fuselage so the gap was closed and with a pen marked along the joint. A perfect match on the first try. I still have to cut it with the soldering iron so I can add the fillets which will overlap the covering edge a bit and after painting the overlap is gone. I also cover the wing with one piece which eliminates the seam at the leading edge.
  I'm happy with the fiberglassing job on the fuselages. Min Wax polycrylic to stick it down and fill the weave. Dupli-Color has a better filler paint than the one Sparky likes. It's called Filler Primer, high build formula. It sands as easy as the other one. I use the Filler Sealer as the coat before painting. Used in conjunction with the thinned body putty speeds up the job a lot.

No comments: