Sunday, April 9, 2017

Fixed vibes.

I tried the plane with the Fox muffler attached and the engine ran well. I put the tongue muffler back on and the engine went wild again so I put the Fox back on. That changed the balance so I made the proper changes and added an extension to the muffler to redirect the exhaust away from the plane. I also put a restriction in it to reduce the opening. I used gasoline rubber hose of 5/16 i.d. I flew it this morning and was getting 30 laps after the pattern. I reduced the amount in the tank to an unheard of 3.25 ounces and still got 15 laps extra. At home I removed the head and looked things over. Nothing seemed out of the norm. I took the extension off and it looked good. I put it back on and then off again and removed the reducer. The inside end had burned and closed up some, I figure, causing the extra run time. I have the head and bolts soaking in Castrol Super Clean to remove the burned on castor oil and will reassemble it in a few hours. Test flight tomorrow. First time I flew the engine with the Fox muffler I couldn't get enough fuel in to complete the pattern. Oh well the vibration problem is solved anyway.

No comments: