Saturday, July 8, 2017

Flying in the rain.

I put out a notice that I would be at the field Sat. morning and it worked. 5 others showed up. It started to rain a bit after I arrived and continued until I left. I got ready to fly several times but the rain would return. After an hour or so the rain slowed to a sprinkle so I got the Strega out and got it in the air. I was happy that it was stable and wings level. The engine didn't run that well so I made an adjustment and tried again. Too much of an adjustment, it quit after a few laps. I got out the Wildcat and got a short flight in. I asked for suggestions on the stalling problem it has. One of the others looked it over and noticed that the pushrod from the bellcrank to the carbon fiber tube was very springy. That could be the problem so when I got home I was able to force a tube over the pushrod which stiffened it up a lot, that may be the fix. I checked the Strega engine over and removed two head shims and opened up the venturi for more power and , hopefully, more controlability. I removed the stock needle valve assembly and replaced it with a generic unit. I have the Evo .61 in case the other won't cooperate. We will see next time out on both planes.
   I have a venturi and needle valve assembly being made for the ASP engine and it should be here soon. I have that engine on the Chipmunk.

No comments: