Sunday, July 23, 2017

Trying to improve the ASP .52.



The ASP is designed for r/c use and came with a carburetor and a remote needle valve bolted to the back of the engine so new people wouldn't be so apt to get their fingers in the propeller. Control line engines only use a venturi and a neeedle valve. I bought a needle valve from the guy that made the venturi for the engine and it doesn't work like I think it should. I tried to put a different style valve in but they are too short. I figured that I could use the original remote needle valve and another brand spray bar, that passes through the venturi and puts the fuel into the engine. The bottom picture shows the O.S. remote set up that comes on the LA series of engines and the longer one is an O.S. needle valve that is of a normal design that fits through the venturi and is long enough for what I'm trying to do. It has a hole all the way through the spray bar and that needs to be closed off and a new fuel exit hole drilled so it's in the center of the new venturi. The center picture shows the soldered up end of the spray bar and how close it is to not being long enough. The top photo shows the remote needle valve installed pointing up so I can get to it easily. The engine is mounted on the side of a profile plane which is the normal way to mount an engine on this type of plane.  I went to the park this morning and flew the new set up and it worked pretty good. The engine didn't like drawing the fuel over the top of the engine but ran well once it did. It started kinda hard because of that. Once home I turned the set up around so  it's at the same level as the fuel tank. Now the needle is under the engine and near the muffler. I had to make some changes to the extension that's in the needle, visible in the top photo. I ran it and got the rpm's in the ball park and made final adjustments to the extension so there is some travel for adjustment of the rpm. I may have to go to a smaller muffler, time will tell. I also changed propellers so the engine could run at a higher rpm and not fly the plane too fast. It's not a control line engine and should run faster. We will see.
After some thought I removed the stock muffler and installed a tongue muffler and added one .010 head shim as the compression is pretty high. I made a bit longer needle extension while I was at it. The needle is a lot easier to get to now. I ran the engine and re set the rpm's for the new set up. Flight test in the morning weather permitting.

No comments: