Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Lots of changes.

I got to fly the kit Strega more and found the engine lacking in power. I checked the head shims and found 4 at .011 thick each so I removed two of them and tried it again. There was an improvement but not enough. I figured that seeing as the engines made in China had the same hold down bolt pattern that engines made in Europe would also. I have a Super Tiger .60 in another plane which is made in Italy and the one in the Strega, a Double Star brand is made in Ukraine. I removed both engines and they do share the same bolt pattern. I put the Super Tiger in the Strega and the Double Star in a box. I should be able to test them tomorrow.
 The plane that had the S/T engine has an r/c engine mount bolted to a firewall. I figured that maybe there was a set of holes I could put the Aviastar engine in. I was right again. I bolted it down and ran it to set the rpm's. It's good for one flight an hour because of the lack of compression when hot. It's just the way it's designed as far as I can find out.

No comments: