Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bummer.

I did manage to get in the first flights I planned yesterday. I was pleased with the Ruffy. I got it started on it's wheels and it flew quite nice. A little tweak of the flaps got the wings level and the balance seemed right on. The Primary Force flew well but needs more trimming and the Ringmaster engine was not good. I figured vibration was foaming the fuel causing the engine to go lean right after take off. I shook the jug when I got home and it foamed up so I added some armor all.
I was going to try it today after my trip to the VA. But the Saturn ignition lock broke and it was towed to Groton and I had to go to Groton after my trip to the VA. That shot down the flying for the day. Tomorrow is not going to be good for flying either.
I think I did make some progress on the Harley ignition. I was testing for voltage through the coil and was supposed to have full battery voltage through the coil with the points open. I got a volt. I removed the wires from the coil and got 13 volts. I put the tach. wire on and got a volt. I put the points wire on and got 13 volts. I left the tach wire off and grounded a spark plug and turned the engine over and got a spark at the plug. I'll try to start it tomorrow.

No comments: