Monday, March 1, 2010

Back to 'dark and stormy' weather.

When I got up Sat. morning there was 2 inches of snow on the ground. I drove to East Hartford for the horseshoe tournament and got third place. $10.00 richer, it cost $15.00 to enter and $20.00 for gas. The snow was clinging to the tree branches and was still there at noon. Dead calm all day. Half the snow was gone by the time I got home so we went to the dog track. I got in 3 flights with the Flite Streak and noted some changes that were in order. I replaced the needle valve assy. as it got bent during the inverted landing. I removed the tail weight that was needed to put the balance at the suggested spot and added another washer under the engine for more out thrust. On Sun. the snow was gone and we went back to the dog track. The changes worked very well. I think it could use some more nose weight as the corners are very sharp but the plane is a lot more stable. I put on an aluminum hub spinner and an APC prop for the next session. The kit came with a fuel tank, which is still leaking from another seam, and a pre formed push rod. There is no way to adjust the controls with the push rod. I remembered some solder on 2-56 threaded adapters and cut the rod and soldered one on with a clevis. Now I got adjustment to center the handle. It's a pain to hold up or down to get the plane to fly level.
I got the Super 80 wing sheeted, controls installed, glued together and tips installed over the weekend. The bellcrank pivot rod extends out of the wing top and bottom and rests against the fuse. side so it wont pull out.
Weather forecast for the next 5 days was sunny but that changed to 30% chance of rain and snow. WTFD.

No comments: