Friday, March 12, 2010

Some progress.

I was hoping that the wind would hold off longer than it did. Too windy to go flying. I got the idea to measure the capy. of my plastic fuel tanks. They are listed as such on the tanks but I double checked anyway. Sullivan/Pylon brand came up a bit short as did Hayes tanks. I had a new Du-Bro 4 oz. and it held 4.4 ozs. A 6 oz Du-Bro of a different style is actually shorter than the 4 oz. I put them both on planes and will relegate the others to test stand duty. The good thing about the plastic tanks over a metal one is I only need an ounce of fuel to get in a short trim flight with a plastic tank and I have to fill a metal one over half full.
I had mixed the alcohol into fuel and emptied the 5 gallon jugs a few weeks ago. I mixed each gallon jug as I filled it from the larger container. I thought about that and the likely hood of a different mix because of rough measuring. I brought a 5 gallon jug in and dumped all the fuel in it and mixed it up. Then I poured it back into the gallon jugs so it should be consistent.
When I put the 5 gallon jug back on the shelf I knocked something off and onto the floor. It was a pack of stick on velcro that was for the tonneau cover on the El Camino. I've been wondering on where to put the tachometer in the El Camino as there is little room on the steering column and I didn't want to drill holes in the A pillar covers or dash. I tried to stick it in a corner of the dash but there wasn't enough support to keep it in place. Then I tried it on the steering column real close to the wheel hub. I don't need the screw clamp to hold it and it's out of the way of the rotating portion of the column that is the shifter. The clamp would get in the way of the ignition lock and not work at all. It should be fine where it is as the velcro is new and strong. I put the wires through a piece of black shrink tube and will hook it up later. I labeled the wires when I removed it after paint hoping I could re use it as the speedo is way off.
Crappy weather for tonight and tomorrow.
I sent emails to a bunch of politicians through the WTIC radio web site against obama care.

No comments: