Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pass the Charmin, quick!!

Went to the dog track this morning and it had started to sprinkle. I got in 3 flights with the Padre and the winds were almost too light. I had put another tank on the Super 80. I also took the end cap off the problem tank and put a short length of tube over the long slice on the end of the feed tube. It brought the open end 1/4" further away from the vent tube. I brought it with me to try after the first tank trial. The first worked so well I didn't try the other one. During one of the maneuvers the lines loosened and the clips hooked together. The plane started to make lopsided loops as I ran back trying to keep control as long as possible and to lessen the impact. It went around several times and, luckily, the clips separated and I regained control of my bowels and the plane. Before that flight I had made an adjustment of the leadouts and the front line was against the front end of the tip leadout slot moving it closer to the other line. I re adjusted the leadouts and my shorts when I got home. I put a trim tab on the outside wing as It looks like the wing is low a bit. I also put a half ounce on the outside wing as that is supposed to improve line tension.
I went back to the track and tried the fixed tank. Still crap. I made some adjustments to the trim tab and the wings are a little more level and the tip weight seems to have worked as the line tension was improved. No more line snags.

No comments: