Friday, July 4, 2008

Another place to fly.

A couple of years ago the town of Plainfield, CT built a new high school. It's sited on a low hill close to the old school building. I never looked at the ball fields and other fields until yesterday. No wonder our taxes are high. I brought a plane and the grandson to the playground at the elementary school next to the fields. The first place I tried had not been mowed in a week and it took half a lap to get off the ground. I moved to a softball field with a 220 foot fence. 60 foot bases and 60 foot lines equals plenty of room if I don't roam too much. I got in two more flights and got some info on the trim changes to make. The hillside has been terraced in many areas to make level ground for the ball fields. The fields are fenced in so no one is likely to walk too close while I'm flying. The outfield needs mowing but works for landing. I took off standing in back of second base with the plane near third. The portable wind indicator with the spike in one end to stick in the ground worked flawlessly. And I didn't hit it this time.

No comments: