Thursday, July 3, 2008

Last planes of the building season.



I have a few things to do on the red plane and it's ready for a first flight. The blue one is ready to fly. They are the last planes I will build unless I wreck several and have nothing to fly. I started to fly the second scratch built model I designed last fall. I plan to use them up in the order they were built. It's the one with a maple core in the fuselage. The blue one here is the Primary Force kit I ordered last Oct. 31. It arrived 6 months later through no fault of the kit maker. The other is a Sig Twister kit I got off e-bay for less than list price of the kit from Sig. I made changes to the kit as done by Ted Fancher in an article in Flying Models magazine many years ago. The fuse. is stretched 3 inches, a turtle deck is added to the fuse top and the rudder is shaped differently. As built both planes weight in the low to mid 30 ounce range and are powered by Fox .35's. I had a Twister modified like this before and it flew very well so when I crashed it I had to get another. I have two Primary Force kit built planes and one ARF. I have two others that were built as scratch builts that resemble the Primary Force. There is a contest in Wareham MA in a few weeks and I'm planning to compete in it. This will be my first time flying in a control line contest so I will start in the beginner class. The protocol is similiar to an R/C contest but different.
I replaced a brake hose on the El Camino that got stretched while putting the front suspension together. I'm surprised it didn't break as it stretched a lot. I'm still hoping it gets to Groton this weekend for the windshield and exhaust work. I have to trace the dome light wiring to find out why it don't work. I think I checked the bulb but will do it again to be certain. No word from the guy with the seats yet. So far all the gages are working which is good.

No comments: