Friday, July 25, 2008

To crash is a blessed event?

That's what an old guy said to the other beginner at the contest in Wrentham MA. He drove a new plane straight in from high up, 60 feet. I had wopped the ground but didn't notice the broken fuselage until after my official flight. After assessing the damage later,I figured a new fuse. would be the best bet. The wing was cut out and saved. I had another plane that doesn't fly all that well so I figured to remove its wing and mate the fuse. and the saved wing. Didn't work out. Now I have a saved wing and a junked plane that didn't fly well. No great loss. I rummaged around and found the plans for my 125% ringmaster and started building. I slimmed the fuse. down about 3/4" and now it's 5/16" thick. Should have been 3/8" but I didn't have any 1/8" to laminate, thought I did. I drew the new airfoil on the fuse. side and lengthened the fuse. 3/4" for good measure. A little band saw work and table saw work and the new fuse. and motor mounts are being glued together. I plan to core the fuse. to save weight and skin it with 1/16" balsa. I'd better see if I have any. The wing will have about 555 sq. in. when I'm done putting some kind of wing tip on. It's 545 sq. in. with out.
I checked the DMV web site and registering the El Camino shouldn't be much of a nail biter. But you never know. I have the title from TX in my sons' name so I will try a family transfer to save money. I still need to get a horn or two and an insurance card to get temp. plates. I added a fillet of urethane adhesive to the front and back windows. It will seal them real good. Made a mess of my hands when I used thinner to get it off my hands. It melted the urethane and drove it into the pores on my hands. It's wearing off slowly.

No comments: